Author Topic: Pentax K-3 II pixel-shift resolution is going to increase demand for Photo Acute  (Read 3860 times)

pixelsmithy

I only learned of Photo Acute today. Imagine my disappointment to see that my current camera, the K-3 is not yet supported and submitting of new profiles is no longer accepted. It seems amazing to me that a product described on the Almalence home page as "Our flagship desktop product for professional photographers" would be pushed aside for other projects.

The timing, I think is particularly bad for Almalence because I think there will soon be a LOT of people looking for ways to get super-resolution for their cameras now that Pentax has announced the 4-exposure "Pixel Shift Resolution" for the upcoming K-3 II (shipping on May 25th). See how it works: http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/how-pentax-k-3-ii-pixel-shifting-works.html.

Only camera manufacturers that shift the sensor can do this in the camera, so everyone else is a potential customer for Photo Acute and any way to come close to duplicating what the Pentax K-3 II is doing will be sought after. If Almalence is going to abandon a product that it calls "their flagship desktop product" at a time when interest in it is primed to soar, it makes one think how many other of their projects they will abandon in time. I hope that Almalence will reconsider and reinstitute support and development of this product.

JohnBee

I agree, please re-ignite the fire!
Every time I look at a new camera, I think of how it would work with Photo Acute. :(

matilda

Agreed, like a Nikon D500 with a 200-500mm lens!

hiroshisugi

Indeed it is a great pity that the development of PhotoAcute has been stopped, and I very much hope that Eugene et al will re-start their work on this powerful software. With the new Pentax K-1 coming and the latest Olympus offerings pixel-shifting and super-resolution imaging is currently a very hot topic on many forums and photography review sites. I think the demand for PhotoAcute will go up tremendously once the K-1 will be released and photo enthusiasts will realize what multi-exposure imaging can do to the resolution of their images. The pixel-shifting feature has been a bit under the radar with the K-3 II as this camera targets more the amateur/prosumer market, but the K-1 is a different beast, and now every serious enthusiast/pixelpeeper wants to push the resolution of their full-frame DLSR into the medium format range (see for example diglloyd.com). As far as I can see there is no alternative to PhotoAcute out there since a simple averaging of multiple frames in Photoshop is not doing the job...

Canasonic

I agree, I wanted to get this software as it works really well with a few of my older cameras that I still use. I was hoping for a way to buy a code but I can't seem to email the administrator (just get an unauthorized message when I try). Hopefully they will release a newer version of this software soon.